Woodland Hills, CA
By all appearances, Woodland Hills is the de-facto capital of the San Fernando Valley. Driving west on US 101, those who glance at the sleek black high-rises of Warner Center, might think they were headed back to downtown LA. Burbank is the only other area of the valley with any tall buildings, and it those building lend it the same gravitas as those in Warner Center. Like Burbank, Woodland Hills is the center of something, and in this case, it is finance and health care. Kaiser has a huge center located there, and many tenants in those high rises work for big companies such as video game titan Blizzard Activision, as well as big insurers like HealthNet and AIG. That means there is plenty of money in Woodland Hills, driving up home prices.
Area Vibes gives it a healthy 79 score in livability, higher than many other cities in the valley, but below the celebrity enclaves of Hidden Hills and Calabasas. It earns high marks in everything but cost of living and education, as schools there are in the LAUSD. Take their rankings with a HUGE grain of salt though, as they rate Santa Clarita's education a matching score of D-. Laughably false.
Victor Girard Kleinberger bought 2,886 acres in the area and founded the town of Girard in 1922. The community of Girard was eventually incorporated into Los Angeles, and in 1945, it became known as Woodland Hills.
Tantalizingly close to the ocean, but still nestled firmly in the San Fernando Valley, Woodland Hills experiences temperature swings from season to season that are bigger than most other areas in the county. The all-time high is 119 while the low was 20 degrees.
Schools - Safety - Misc
The Los Angeles Times has a great profile page available on Woodland Hills detailing current crime info, schools and resident comments.
Elementary schools include:
- Calabash Street Elementary School
- Lockhurst Elementary School
- Serrania Elementary School
- Woodlake Avenue Elementary School
- Woodland Hills Elementary School
- Ivy Academia Entrepreneurial Charter School
- Calvert Street Elementary School
- Woodland Hills Charter Academy (formerly known as Parkman Middle School)
- The school opened in 1959 as "Parkman Junior High School." It received its current name in 2006.
- George Ellery Hale Charter Academy
- El Camino Real High School
- El Camino Real High School
- William Howard Taft High School
- Henry David Thoreau Continuation High School
- The Alexandria Academy – secular school serving First through Twelfth Grade
- Chaminade College Preparatory High School – Coed Marianist Catholic High School
- Crespi Carmelite High School All Boys Catholic High School
- Halsey Schools – 6 weeks – 6 years.
- Louisville High School All female Catholic High School
- Pinecrest-elementary and middle school
- St. Bernardine of Siena – preschool through Eighth Grade
- St. Mel – preschool through Eighth Grade
- Woodland Hills Private School – serving Preschool (starting at 2 years old) through Fifth Grade
- Hike The Santa Monica Mountains
- Summer Concerts in Warner Center Park
- Enormous Topanga Plaza Mall
- Candy Cane Lane (Christmas)
Median Sold Prices
Based on information from CARETS as of date shown below. The information being provided by CARETS is for the visitor's personal, noncommercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties visitor may be interested in purchasing. The data contained herein is copyrighted by CARETS, CLAW, CRISNet MLS, i-Tech MLS, PSRMLS and/or VCRDS and is protected by all applicable copyright laws. Any dissemination of this information is in violation of copyright laws and is strictly prohibited. Any property information referenced on this website comes from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) program of CRISNet MLS and/or CARETS. All data, including all measurements and calculations of area, is obtained from various sources and has not been, and will not be, verified by broker or MLS. All information should be independently reviewed and verified for accuracy. Properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting the information.
Updated: 23rd August, 2019 12:06 PM.